Friday, August 13, 2010

Double Knitting

I think it’s safe to say that I stay within my comfort zone when selecting knitting projects. I avoid patterns that utilize techniques other than plain stockinette, cabling, and lace. I am terrified of colorwork, and I will never steek. (I can’t imagine cutting something that I’ve spent months knitting.) So it may come as a surprise that I’ve decided to try something new.

I really want to double knit. In fact, I want to double knit so much that I’ve written quite a few double knitting patterns for scarves and blankets. I know that it’s kind of strange to write double knitting patterns without having double knit before, but I’m very good at creating mirror images! (Technically anyone who can color in boxes can create a double knitting chart.) I’ve done a bit of research on double knitting, and I believe I have a fair understanding of how the process works. However, understanding it and doing it are two different things. I’m sure my first swatch will look horrendous.

I will definitely release my patterns if I (or someone else) make some sample objects from them. I hate when people release patterns without a sample photo. I will offer my designs for free, of course, since I’ve taken advantage of so many free patterns over my knitting career. My copyright blurb will go something like, “You may use this pattern however you please. Usage includes but is not limited to knitting the pattern, folding the pattern into an airplane, using the pattern as a coaster, showing the pattern the Siberian landscape, eating the pattern with a glass of milk, and substituting the pattern for toilet paper. You are free to do whatever you want with objects made from this pattern, as I do not own your projects and cannot police whatever action you choose to take in regard to your finished objects. Please do not attempt to sell this pattern. I will hunt you down and destroy your operation. Thank you.” Yes, I do have a bit of an issue with some of the copyright blurbs I’ve seen. Some people may disagree with me, but I find designers who specify what knitters can do with objects knit from their patterns to be pompous. If you’re so uptight about people selling objects made from your pattern, don’t sell them the instructions! Sometimes I find patterns similar to the following:

Knit Scarf

1.) Cast on 25 stitches
2.) Knit row 1
3.) Knit row 2
4.) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until desired length is reached.
5.) Bind off.

…with copyright blurbs like this:

“This is my pattern. Do not sell any objects made from this pattern. Do not sell any objects that look like my design. Do not sell objects made from an altered version of my pattern. I work hard to provide you with free patterns, and I would like my intellectual property to be respected. If I find that my patterns are being abused, I will have to start charging people to use them. Thank you.”

El – Oh – El. That’s all I have to say. I completely understand why designers wouldn’t want unscrupulous people to sell or claim authorship of their patterns, but this crap about copyrighting the knit stitch? Puleeeeze.

Anyway, I’ve already told myself that this weekend will be dedicated to knitting my Thermal, but I might be able to throw a little swatching into the mix. You know, just to make sure the charts work. ;)

0 comments: